+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445
AdUnit Name: [Header]
Enabled: [No],   Viewed On: [Desktop],   Dimensions: [[728,90],[300,250],[970,250]]
CampaignId: [/22646143967/candadavisa/ForumHeaderGeneric],
forumSection: Immigration to Canada, subForumSection: Skilled Worker / Professional Immigration

National Nursing Assessment Centre NNAS

AdUnit Name: [ForumThreadViewRightGutter]
Enabled: [Yes],   Viewed On: [Desktop],   Dimensions: [[300,250],[300,600]]
CampaignId: [/22646143967/candadavisa/ForumThreadViewRightGutter],
forumSection: Immigration to Canada, subForumSection: Skilled Worker / Professional Immigration
AdUnit Name: [AboveMainContent]
Enabled: [Yes],   Viewed On: [Desktop],   Dimensions: [[728,90],[970,250],[300,250]]

iblessed

Mar 8, 2012
For RPN, i requested Detailed Job description from my employer to sent to CNO because nothing had changed with the other two forms since my application to NNAS.

canada11 said:
JUl 15 > Got NNAs report
Jul 17 > Applied to CNO for RN & RPN
JUl 25 > Jurisprudence exam invitation by email from CNO
Aug 03> Got CNO reply by snail mail stating (20 weeks is reported in website)

1. For RN, Competency Assessment form says that "this applicant is not equal to current graduate ON baccalaureate nursing program" so I have to give OSCE exam.
2.For RPN, they require Detailed Job description from my employer. Plus three more forms one to be filled from Nursing registration body & other from employer to be sent directly by them. Infact its a re-work which we did for NNAS earlier.

Now my question is ......

1.I have three years diploma in nursing if I goes for OSCE exam and clears it then after passing RN-NCLEX I would be registered as RN or not as it says "this applicant is not equal to current graduate ON baccalaureate nursing program"

2. My work experience is that of OT RN . Will it impact the RPN application ?

iblessed

Mar 8, 2012
NNAS did not ask for job description jd) only employment history but with my previous RN application to CNO they had asked for jd so i think it is CNO that needs the jd for their assessment.

canada11 said:
Thank you kreystiyanpol...

Regarding, point 2 ,of mine earlier post, after reading CNO letter again carefully , It has been found that for RPN :

1. I need to provide JDs of employers who were reported to NNAS earlier, again.
2. NNAS just required last 5 years employment history and I did that so , but CNO wants employment history 'since graduation from your nursing program' . For that Extra two form are there for this type of employers

Only after that , they will do the assessment of my education as they write "The nursing practice information(employment history), if provided, will be included in the assessment of your education.

Probably that's why I have not been asked to take CPNRE exam for RPN, and instead been asked to send Job & license forms directly from respective institutions along with Job Description. It seems that they yet to assess my education on the basis of Nursing Practice.

Lesson learned :

a. Provide all your previous job history & not just limit yourself to last 5 years to NNAS
b. Keep the detailed JDs , ideally on the employer letterhead ready.

Surprisingly, for RN , there was no such requirement and I am advised to take OSCE.

I wish other forum members may also share their experiences .

iblessed

Mar 8, 2012
kreystiyanpoll explanation is correct. Thanks for you information, i am happy for you input in this very trying situation.

kreystiyanpoll said:
if your employer did not include job description together with the forms in NNAS, then CNO will mostl likely require you to have one. Regarding the license verification form and employment form, as far as i understand, they sent you those forms just in case, you have any other nursing experiences acquired during NNAS process or before NNAS process that were not declared with you NNAS Applications. Now if you dont have any other experience, i believed it was written in The letter that you need to write the college that you dont hVe any additional nursingh experience.

iblessed

Mar 8, 2012
OSCE is all about how you carry out everyday nursing care, assessments, documentations, referals, collaboration and dealing with family members ect... You won't know what you will be assessed on till you get given the scenario a minute or 2 before you meet the client at each station.

canada11 said:
Any ideas & clues for OSCE preparation ?

iblessed

Mar 8, 2012
If your application was received before three years since your last practice day then you are ok.

for example if your last shift work was on sept 04, 2013 and you are applying to CNO today then your nursing practice would have already expired because three years has passed. That's my understanding.

God knows said:
Hi guys
I need your help
I applied to CNO for RPN evaluation. Everything is on track but My evidence of nursing practice is going to expire in December 2016.Could anyone can suggest me How I can extend my evidence of nursing practice . I am working as a volunteer in City hospital that can work?
Please help me in this.
Thanks

AdUnit Name: [ThreadView]
Enabled: [Yes],   Viewed On: [Desktop],   Dimensions: [[250,250],[300,300],[970,250],[600,300],[600,480v],'fluid']
CampaignId: [/22646143967/candadavisa/forum_in_thread],

dasaripoorna

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2016
AOR Received.
19-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
07-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting Game Over
LANDED..........
Waiting Game Over
Hi I am still in Starting stage of Applying to NNAS for my wife. She finished her BSC Nursing 4 years from India. She worked for 5 years in Indian Army as Nurse. She has Resigned from Indian Army by 2015-March. Should we Submit IELTS Score report initially with Application itself r we can submit it in middle of Processing of Application. Is there any member in this forum with similar Background. Can you guys help me with Preparation & Submission of Application to NNAS. I am Sponsoring for PR to her. She is Currently working in Nursing College as Lecturer.

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
Thank you iblessed for your experience shared.

What I infer is that , even after passing OSCE , they refer you to gain some competencies through studies. If my understanding is correct, can you please elaborate further about what these "some studies" are for ?

Moreover, your outcomes is in sharp contrast to my expectation as well as that of kreystiyanpoll on the forum that if we passed OSCE we are forwarded to RN-NCLEx exam n passing of which we ultimately granted RN license.

I understand that in your case there was no NNAS.

iblessed said:
Hi canada11

when i did my application to CNO for RN it was before NNAS came in and i was asked to do OSCE which i did and then i was told that i needed to achieve some competences, which mean back to redo some studies to prove i have covered what they required to complete their assessment because they were not able to cover all the areas they want to assess on their own. Now that they have NNAS doing the most part i am not sure what the outcome will be, hopefully if there is someone who has gone through the whole RN process with NNAS and CNO could share there experience then that would help the rest of us needing some answers.

The RPN process is separate to the RN they assessed separately as you also have to pay for each independently and they are separate registration and license.

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
If you are going to apply for CNO (Ontario) , you can start the application without IELTS..for all other Provisional Registration bodies you need to get 7 in all in IELTS ASAP although u can submit IELTS result later but NNAS won't finalize assessment without IELTS.

You first need to check if Army will give signed forms for service verification.. You also need signed forms from school were studied nursing along with detailed Course Description. If its not possible then forget NNAS & future as IEN in Canada.

As her last practice date is Mar2015 thus her safe practice period ends in Feb2018. You need to fulfill all licensing procedure before that otherwise all will go in drain. Keep at least one year for whole process to complete. Idealy its a 1 to 2 year long procedure to complete the licensing requirement if you pass all exams.

dasaripoorna said:
Hi I am still in Starting stage of Applying to NNAS for my wife. She finished her BSC Nursing 4 years from India. She worked for 5 years in Indian Army as Nurse. She has Resigned from Indian Army by 2015-March. Should we Submit IELTS Score report initially with Application itself r we can submit it in middle of Processing of Application. Is there any member in this forum with similar Background. Can you guys help me with Preparation & Submission of Application to NNAS. I am Sponsoring for PR to her. She is Currently working in Nursing College as Lecturer.

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
From CNO website below: What infer from it it is that passing OSCE does not automatically entitles you to write NCLEX registration exam ....This is pathetically absurd !!!!!!!!

What happens after I finish the IENCAP( OSCE) ?

About eight weeks after you complete your evaluation, your IENCAP results will be forwarded to the College, where they will be added to all the other documents and information supporting your application. All your information will then be assessed to determine if you have demonstrated nursing knowledge, judgment and skills equivalent to that of a graduate of an approved Canadian university baccalaureate degree nursing program.

If you meet the education requirement, then you will receive a letter confirming you are eligible to write the NCLEX registration exam if you have not previously passed the NCLEX.

If you don’t meet the education requirement, then you will have to complete additional education that allows you to meet the education requirement before you can continue with your application.

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
This is rather a demotivating post from http://allnurses.com/nursing-in-canada/after-osce-is-982796.html

Dear fellow nurses
I am an internationally educated nurse came to canada with high hopes to pursue my career as RN.
But i was directed to do OSCE which i did and was asked to complete two competency gaps (ethical and self regulation) which was only one page when send by the CNO.
I tried york university which apparently was the only university recommended by CNO. and york university offer e programe of 20 months costing 15 thousand tution fee. anyways i tried as there was no other way. but unfortuntly, i was rejected when i demand to know why, they simply said due to the high volumes of applicant, they prefer candidates who have done some nursing relevant courses in canada...ok....so whats next.... i contacted george brown college and it seems they have the courses that york wants....these courses (part time) takes about one and half year to complete....all in all....u need 80% and above in these courses in order to get admission in york....wow....all in all its a 3-4 years of back to school programme for a candidate like me who has been a RN for last 10 years....
i m really confused , dishearted and shattered....i dont know what to do....i have only two competency gaps and i dont think its fair for me to go thru all these hurdles....
please advice or share similar situations ......

Enabled: [Yes],   Viewed On: [Desktop],   Dimensions: [[250,250],[300,300],[970,250],[600,300],[600,480v],'fluid']

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
Is there anyone on the forum who has passed the OSCE exam & CNO advised them to take NCLEX ?

kreystiyanpoll

Star Member
Oct 24, 2015
If you successfully passed the OSCE exam, then you will be eligible for the NCLEX RN Exam. Now if you are already an NCLEX passer for US, then you don't need to write NCLEX again.
Now, if you fail OSCE, and remain to have competency gaps, then that's the time they will require you to take some courses to address those competency gaps. As of now, york university is the only school offering the direct bridging program for iens here in ontario. But other universities are working in it like the ryerson university. Hopefully by 2017, there will be more universities which will offer programs for iens to address the competency gaps identified in osce.

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
My understanding is different from yours. On CNO website , there is no mention of passing of OSCE exam rather it's ASSESSES TO DETERMINE knowledge and skills. This term is itself quite vague.

kreystiyanpoll said:
If you successfully passed the OSCE exam, then you will be eligible for the NCLEX RN Exam. Now if you are already an NCLEX passer for US, then you don't need to write NCLEX again.
Now, if you fail OSCE, and remain to have competency gaps, then that's the time they will require you to take some courses to address those competency gaps. As of now, york university is the only school offering the direct bridging program for iens here in ontario. But other universities are working in it like the ryerson university. Hopefully by 2017, there will be more universities which will offer programs for iens to address the competency gaps identified in osce.

kreystiyanpoll

Star Member
Oct 24, 2015
Why do the college ask you to take osce in the first place? Because there were identified competency gaps. Because your nursing education is not equivalent to ontario nursing program.
So what's the use of osce? It is an exam for you to show and demonstrate that you meet the ontario rn entry to practice competencies. It is a one time chance for you to demonstrate that your education, training and experience had met the conpetencies of an ontario nursing graduate. So what happens after Osce? They will evaluate your performance. If you successfully demonstrated the competencies, then you will be eligible to take the nclex. If you remain to have competency gaps after osce, then you will be required to take courses.
I know somebody who failed osce and was required to take courses. I also knew somebody who successdully passed osce and was eligible for nclex and now an rn.

canada11 said:
My understanding is different from yours. On CNO website , there is no mention of passing of OSCE exam rather it's ASSESSES TO DETERMINE knowledge and skills. This term is itself quite vague.

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
Totally agree what you say..Logically it has to be like that and I would love it to be like that.

But what to say if CNO website is so vague and double sworded about OSCE result outcome.

Nevertheless, As you have your personal reference and knowledge of a professional who passed OSCE hurdle without being referred to bridging course so I need to close this discussion.

kreystiyanpoll said:
Why do the college ask you to take osce in the first place? Because there were identified competency gaps. Because your nursing education is not equivalent to ontario nursing program.
So what's the use of osce? It is an exam for you to show and demonstrate that you meet the ontario rn entry to practice competencies. It is a one time chance for you to demonstrate that your education, training and experience had met the conpetencies of an ontario nursing graduate. So what happens after Osce? They will evaluate your performance. If you successfully demonstrated the competencies, then you will be eligible to take the nclex. If you remain to have competency gaps after osce, then you will be required to take courses.
I know somebody who failed osce and was required to take courses. I also knew somebody who successdully passed osce and was eligible for nclex and now an rn.

AdUnit Name: [BelowMainContent]
Enabled: [No],   Viewed On: [Desktop],   Dimensions: [[728,90],[300,250]]
AdUnit Name: [Footer]
Enabled: [No],   Viewed On: [Desktop],   Dimensions: [[728,90],[300,250]]