+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445
AdUnit Name: [Header]
Enabled: [No],   Viewed On: [Desktop],   Dimensions: [[728,90],[300,250],[970,250]]
CampaignId: [/22646143967/candadavisa/ForumHeaderGeneric],
forumSection: Moving to Canada from the U.S., subForumSection: Permanent Residence in Canada

US Citizen Married to Canadian Applying for PR - Many Questions

AdUnit Name: [ForumThreadViewRightGutter]
Enabled: [Yes],   Viewed On: [Desktop],   Dimensions: [[300,250],[300,600]]
CampaignId: [/22646143967/candadavisa/ForumThreadViewRightGutter],
forumSection: Moving to Canada from the U.S., subForumSection: Permanent Residence in Canada
AdUnit Name: [AboveMainContent]
Enabled: [Yes],   Viewed On: [Desktop],   Dimensions: [[728,90],[970,250],[300,250]]

2Merry

Jun 10, 2023
Hello,

I am a US citizen married to a Canadian citizen for 5 years. We cohabitated for more than 10 years before getting married. In the 15+ years together we have traveled frequently between the US and Canada, always under visitor visas. Right now I am in Canada with my husband and I arrived as a visitor.

I have (finally) decided to apply for PR with my spouse as my sponsor. I have several questions:
1. I have plenty of official documents (tax returns, car registration and insurance, bank accounts, etc.) to show I have the same address in Canada as my spouse. We have nothing like this for my spouse in the US. Are we okay to say that we are living together in Canada?
2. Although I cross the border frequently (usually by air), my passport is rarely stamped with an entry date. For example, the last stamp I have is from Feb 2021 and I have entered Canada more than 10 times since then receiving no stamp. If I say I'm "currently living in Canada" but have no stamp to show my entry date, will this be a problem on my application?
3. Is it correct that I can apply as "currently living in Canada" even though I arrived as a visitor?
4. Is it possible to continue traveling easily back and forth across the border after applying for PR but before any decision or status has been granted (14-15 months currently)?
5. My current passport will expire either while my application is being processed or at almost the moment that a decision is received. Should I renew my passport before applying (takes about 13 weeks), or will I be able to update my passport information while my application is being processed?

Thanks for any information you can provide!

AdUnit Name: [BelowMainContent]
Enabled: [No],   Viewed On: [Desktop],   Dimensions: [[728,90],[300,250]]
AdUnit Name: [Footer]
Enabled: [No],   Viewed On: [Desktop],   Dimensions: [[728,90],[300,250]]